How do you get a job teaching English in China?
- Do our quick eligibility test to check that you can teach in China.
- Complete the application form in just a few minutes.
In the application, you’ll need to upload your resume and a current photo, as well as a scanned copy of your degree, passport and TEFL certificate (if you have one).
Once we receive your application, we’ll review it and consider the preferences you have selected.
We’ll then contact you within 24 hours to arrange a Skype or phone interview.
It will be fairly relaxed – we just want to get to know you better!
If you’re suitable for a teaching role, one of our recruitment partners in China will get in touch with you for a second interview.
How to identify your preferences
One of the benefits of applying with us is that you have a say about how and where you would like to teach.
We don’t have a rigid program like other providers. So have a think about what you want out of your experience.
For example, do you want to work in a big, modern city with the conveniences of home and earn a very generous local salary?
Or would you prefer to work in a smaller, more relaxed city where there are fewer foreigners and you can have a more authentic experience?
The choices that you can make as part of the application process include:
- What kind of school do you want to teach at?
- Where do you want to teach?
- How many hours do you want to work each week?
- What is your monthly salary expectation?
If you’re unsure, we’d be happy to talk you through the options. Drop us a line or give us a call.
Alternatively, check out the first section in our ebook, 10 Do’s & Don’ts for Teaching English in China, which you can download for free today.
Why is a current photo required as part of the application process?
It’s a requirement that you look presentable.
If your face is covered in tattoos you may find it hard getting a job!
Remember that China is still a developing country. It doesn't have the same anti-discrimination laws that you're used to.
Why is a scanned copy of the degree, passport and TEFL certificate required as part of the application process?
We need to verify your personal details and your qualifications.
Is there an application fee?
Our service is 100% free.
However, we do ask that once you have submitted your application you commit to teaching in China with us.
Some resume tips
Have a well-structured but simple CV.
As a minimum, it should include your personal contact information, education and qualifications, and relevant work experience.
Here are some general resume tips to help you get noticed:
- Start with your highest qualification first (e.g. master’s degree)
- List the responsibilities and achievements of each work experience you’ve had
- Highlight any roles where you’ve taught, trained or coached someone
- Highlight any relevant attributes (e.g. friendly, caring, flexible, bubbly) that will help in the classroom
- Use plain English (e.g. simple words and short sentences)
- Keep it under four pages.
If there is just one tip you remember, it's this: make sure your resume is up to date and error-free.
You’re applying for a teaching job in China where grammar and spelling are important. If your resume is littered with mistakes, it doesn't leave a good impression.
Some interview tips
When you speak with our representative in China on the phone or on Skype, it is crucial that you speak clearly and a little bit more slowly than you normally would.
However, try to be natural and don’t fake your accent. We want to get to know the ‘real’ you and imagine how you’ll sound in a classroom.
Here are some general interview tips to help you with the process:
- Explain why you want to teach English in China
- Clearly state your expectations and what you’re looking for
- Provide some positive attributes about yourself (being flexible and adaptable are particularly relevant to working in China)
- Talk about the work you’ve done, especially any roles relevant to teaching
- Highlight your education and qualifications
- Ask questions
- Be friendly, polite and respectful
- For Skype interviews, wear smart casual clothing.
If you have any questions, please ask us. We're here to help!